Arqueopterix is a project aimed at improving the user experience in interactive video applications on fixed and mobile networks, with special applicability in the entertainment industry (virtualized games, online multiplayer games) but also in applications of any type virtualized, where a smooth user experience is expected. The project is supported by letters of support from operators and companies, which foresee a high commercial potential in the exploitation of the technologies to be developed and that will provide benefits to both operators and service providers (OTTs) and therefore, to the end users.
To achieve it, the combined use of these new technologies will be implemented:
- Medición en tiempo real de la calidad de una conexión e2e a través de la implementación del protocolo Q4S del IETF.
- Real-time measurement of the quality of an e2e connection through the implementation of the IETF Q4S protocol.
- Implementation of an element of action on the network elements of the operator (policy server) to provide a higher quality of connection a data flow, from the information provided by Q4S. This is what we will call “dynamic quality on demand”.
- Implementation of a new technology (totally free and without patents) coding called “logarithmical hopping encoding” that allows to reduce the coding time of the video while reducing the consumption of bandwidth versus quality, based on research published by members of the consortium of this project in the magazine IET Image Processing
The benefits of the project affect the entire ecosystem of the internet:
- Operators could benefit from the commercial exploitation of “quality of service on demand” by offering it to service providers (OTTs) who want to offer a quality product to their end users without the need for large investments in POPs deployments throughout the network
- Cost reduction for service providers (OTTs) and operators: Deploying a service that prioritizes traffic when necessary reduces the number of POPs required for deployment because the game server does not need to be so close to the end user To ensure a quality flow. This benefits the service provider, whether the operator or an OTT. At the same time, by using the LHE encoder as an alternative to cloud gaming, bandwidth costs are reduced.
- Improvement of the user experience: thanks to Q4S adaptations in the game virtualizer can be made dynamically (fps reduction, resolution changes, etc.) and even changes in the video game if you are prepared for it (changes of speed and functionality ). On the other hand LHE provides better image quality at the same bit rate than conventional systems and a reduction in encoding latency, which will provide a more immediate response to the user, vital in cloud gaming applications.
José Javier García – ALCATEL LUCENT SPAIN – email@example.com
This project, with file number IDI-20150609, has been co-financed by Centro para el Desarrollo Tecnológico Industrial (CDTI) within the strategic program CIEN 2015.